Kimberly Smith, Sole Assessor
Tuesday & Thursday 9 am – 1 pm
Phone Number: 518-828-0368
Fax Number: 518-828-2350
email: [email protected]
Assessment Roll and Property Inventory is available @
TAXES – The Assessor does not determine tax rates or collect taxes. For information regarding TAXES please call the TAX COLLECTOR. You can view or print your tax bill by following this LINK.
DEEDS and other PUBLIC Documents are not kept in the Assessors office. To view these records please follow this LINK.
The Assessor’s office is working on a TOWN WIDE REASSESSMENT project for the 2020 Roll year.
We have finished the Data Verification portion of the project. To ensure we have your information as accurate as possible, we are sending each residential parcel a summary of the inventory that we have on file.
Please note, current open permits may NOT be listed in the inventory. If something is missing please add the new inventory description including dimensions. Ex: covered rear deck 8 x 10
Please review this information for accuracy.
- If the information is accurate, please keep for your records!!!
- If you need to make changes, simply cross out incorrect information and write in the correct information.
- Corrections or changes are due by June 30th.
- Additionally, we are attempting to update our records with current physical LOCATION information. If your house number is missing, please make a note of the correct information.
****DO NOT CALL THE OFFICE WITH CORRECTIONS****
THEY MUST BE returned IN WRITING AND SIGNED
Please mail, email or drop off at the Town Hall
RENEWALS are sent the first week in December.
ALL APPLICATIONS ARE DUE NO LATER THAN MARCH 1. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE DENIED.
If you’ve recently bought your home or you’ve never applied for the STAR benefit on your current home, you may be able to save hundreds of dollars each year. You only need to register for the STAR credit once, and you’ll continue to receive the annual benefit as long as you’re eligible. Register Below!
Switching from the exemption to the credit? Register below! You may receive a greater benefit.
Enhanced Star Renewals
Beginning with the 2019-20 school year, the Tax Department will annually review applicants’ income to determine their eligibility for the Enhanced STAR exemption. You do not need to reapply with the Assessor.
Following your eligibility determination, the Tax Department will use the Social Security numbers to confirm the income eligibility of the property owners. If there is a change in your determination, they will notify you.
In subsequent years, the Tax Department will determine income eligibility using the Social Security numbers. If additional information is needed, the department will contact the property owner directly.
If a property owner disagrees with the Tax Department’s eligibility determination, they may appeal to the Tax Department. If the Tax Department denies the appeal and the property owner still believes they are eligible, they can then appeal to the State Board of Real Property Tax Services.
AGED– (467 – lower income seniors)- sliding scale 5% to 50% based on income – must be primary residence.
- Must be renewed every year by returning a signed renewal form along with your income tax return from the prior year. Renewals are sent to you the first week in December.
- Town/County/School income limit – $37,400 – Must include gross Social Security before Medicare payment deducted. Veterans disability payments must also be included.
- Renewal Form
Disabled with limited income – sliding scale 5% to 50% – must supply SSDI award letter and income
- Town/County/School income limit – $37,400
- Renewal form
- War vet – Town/County/School Taxes – up to 15% of assessed value
- Combat Vet – Town/County/School Taxes – up to an additional 10% of assessed value
- Disabled Vet – Town/County/School Taxes- up to ½ of the disability rating
- Cold War – County Taxes – 10 year exemption- up to 15% of assessed value
- Disabled Cold War – County Taxes- up to ½ of the disability rating
Agricultural Exemption– available for owner operators and leased land
- Must be used for agricultural purposes and at least 7 acres
- Renew yearly – Gross Agricultural income verified each year
- Please see link or call the assessor for detailed information
- Renewal form
- Lease Form
- Please visit Columbia County Soil and Water District to obtain a soils group worksheet prior to applying.
Current status: RE-ASSESSMENT YEAR May 29, 2019-May 30, 2020
NON -REASSESSMENTS YEARS: If you feel your assessment does not accurately reflect the current Market Value of your property you may submit written documentation prior to March 1st to be reviewed by the assessor.Documentation should be either a recent appraisal, comparative market analysis from a realtor or a recent listing agreement. After March 1st you must follow the grievance process.
RE-ASSESSMENT YEAR: Notices of preliminary assessments will be sent around February 2020. If you feel your assessment does not accurately reflect the current Market Value of your property you will have a chance for an informal review prior to the tentative roll. Instructions for informal review will be provided on the notice. After March 1st you must follow the grievance process.
GRIEVANCE DAY INFORMATION
The Thursday following the last Tuesday in May.
Normal hours are between the hours of 4 pm – 8 pm. In the year of a Reassessment they may start earlier.
The Board of Assessment Review is a public meeting held once a year in the Courtroom located in the Greenport Town Hall, 600 Town Hall Drive.
No appointment is necessary.
Complaint forms can be accepted up until the close of the meeting. However, to avoid an adjournment forms should be submitted 3 days prior to Grievance Day to allow time for the Assessor to review. Forms can be mailed, emailed or dropped off at the Town Hall.